State Dept. Requests Seniors' Applications For East Africa Plan

Dean Monro has asked the Senior Tutors and the Deans of the Graduate Schools of Arts and Sciences and of Education for nominations of students to teach in East Africa this summer and fall under the State Department's initial youth corps plan.

In answer to a letter sent to 150 college presidents, including President Pusey, the University will submit names to Teachers College, Columbia University, which is conducting the Federal program.

Monro has instructed interested students to leave their names at the Office for Graduate and Career Plans, 52 Dunster St.

The State Department will send to Africa a corps of 50 young teachers with experience and an education degree, 50 liberal arts seniors without teaching experience or an education degree, and 50 seniors with professional preparation in teaching, but no experience beyond practice teaching.

Presumably only a few University graduates will be among the final 150 members of the teaching corps.

Candidates are sought in English, history, geography, mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology.