The Royal Art

Cynics who dislike political clubs at Harvard could take a kind of sad pleasure at a recent flurry of the HYDC. Shortly before the club's elections an angry young committee sent around a circular letter protesting "present conditions in the club," and attacking its executives for lack of purpose. Yet, despite this uproar, last night's election meeting, attended by 26 per cent of the club's members, voted in an entire slate of new officers unopposed. One can only conclude that nobody really means what he says in the HYDC.

There is a place foir Harvard for political clubs, and it seems a pity that so few ever fill that place. Lately, for example, the HYRC has avoided much of the bickering and backbiting which characterized the club in the recent past, and has at least tried to acquire speakers to sponsor serious discussions of political issues.

The HYDC's meaningless outburst of sound and fury simply confirms popular student opinion that a curious film of unreality is spread over the doings of student politicians. If Harvard really is a of bed of political apathy, it is in large part because its politicians are nothing to get excited about.