Leighton Resists Masters Urging Smaller College

"It is utter nonsense to tell any thinking person we cannot expand for lack of a few beds," Delmar Leighton '19, Master of Dudley House said yesterday. The former Dean of the College added he did "not wish to be associated with any statement that overcrowding justifies a smaller college."

Leighton's comments contrast sharply with recent statements by Elliot Perkins '23, Master of Lowell House, and John M. Bullitt '43, Master of Quincy House. He emphasized the danger of thinking that the Masters are united on the question of expansion.

A Dangerous Thing

To Leighton, the decrease in Massachusetts representation in the College underlies the present overcrowding problem. It also means that "Harvard is losing contact with the local community and this is a very dangerous thing."

The drop in the percentage of local men is a major reason for the severe decline in the number of commuters, according to the Dudley Master. "If you want more commuters, you need more local boys."

One explanation for the crowded conditions in the Houses this year is that 65 commuters unexpectedly requested residence on campus. Leighton speculates that the tuition increase might shift at least 50 students back into the commuter class. "That would clear up the whole problem."

Let Them Live Out

Relaxation of the rules requiring students to live in a University residence unless they are from the Boston area would be another partial solution for over-crowding.

Although there are "increased difficulties for the commuting student," Leighton pointed out, some students find it possible to make substantial savings by living off campus or in a cooperative house.