University Offers Extension Course To Sailors on Nuclear Submarine

A record number of registrants, including half the crew of a United States Naval vessel, have enrolled in the University Department of Extension Courses' Spring Program.

More than 6,300 extension students, the largest group receiving instruction under University auspices, will be able to choose from 13 different Spring courses. All courses count for credit toward the unique degree of Bachelor of Arts in Extension Studies.

A novel feature of this year's program makes possible University instruction for the United States Navy. The University will offer for credit, a kinescoped TV course to Naval personnel aboard the nuclear submarine "George Washington."

"The Anatomy of Revolution," part of a TV extension series given last year by C. Crane Brinton '19, McLean Professor of Ancient and Modern History, was "canned" and send aboard the "George Washington" last fall. More than half of the 100 men in the crew have registered for the course.

The University will send a teaching fellow to the New London, Conn. Naval Base next month to provide classroom instruction for the sailors enrolled in Brinton's course.

The Extension department will provide three other TV credit courses this spring. The TV classrooms cover a range of subjects from "The Constitution and Human Rights" to "Probability and Statistics" and "What is Mathematics." The program provides section meetings, textbooks, and examinations.

The Navy is so pleased with the success of this unusual venture that it has contracted for "What is Mathematics?" to be taught by a B.U. professor. Reginald H. Phelps '30, Director of University Extension, said he hoped to develop this "underwater education" into a large-scale program in the future.