Report Blasts Council For Not Representing Student Body Opinion

A special Student Council committee charged last night that the Council does not adequately represent the student body or act as an effective pressure-group to uphold student rights.

Travis J. Williams '63 head of a committee authorized to examine the Council's role in the University, declared that "20 members of the editorial board of the CRIMSON represent student opinion here," while the Council does nothing.

He cited the recent controversy over parietal hours as an instance where the Council could, but did not, consult the students and act as a representative body. "The Council should be bold, bold as Hell" if it is to be effective, he said.

A final report on the role of the Council to be prepared by Williams' comittee, will be ready by the middle of March.

At the same meeting last night, Alexander McMillan '63 reported on Harvard's participation in the Michigan State Model United Nations last week. The University representatives, McMillan and Douglas C. Salmond '62, had both been assigned to represent Indonesia, but Salmond decided to represent the African nation of Gabon instead, so that he could speak as an official delegation head.

"Gabon spoke more at that session than they will in the next 30 or 40 years," McMillan said.