YSA Will Protest Lumumba Death

The Young Socialist Alliance will lead a demonstration protesting Patrice Lumumba's "murder," Saturday in Harvard Square.

Between 20 and 40 people, many of them Harvard students, are expected to parade around the Square at 1 p.m. carrying placards and posters.

A YSA spokesman last night blamed "Imperialists from Belgium and the United States" for Lumumba's death. The picketers, he said, will try to gain supporters for the anti-imperialist and pro-Lumumba movement in the Congo.

According to the YSA, the United States has dictated recent United Nations policy in the Congo. "Lumumba made a mistake in calling for the U.N. in the first place," the spokesman said, "and the Congo government should be returned to Lumumba's successors."

If enough spectators turn out for the demonstration, the YSA will probably stage a public meeting on the sidewalk, to enlist additional support for its cause.

The last YSA demonstration in Boston--a protest against the American Nazi Party--drew a crowd so large that police had to hustle the Nazis to safety.