Squash Players Slightly Favored Against Amherst

The squash team will play its first regular match since before exam period this afternoon at 4 p.m. in the Hemen-way courts, taking on a powerful Amherst nine that will definitely give the Crimson a good battle and might even steal a win from the undefeated varsity.

Though rated an underdog for today's matoh, Amherst has a well-balanced team with more than adequate strength in the low positions. In general, the Joffs rely heavily on dogged retrieving to get key points.

The narrow margins by which Amherst lost to Army and Princeton indicate the team's ability. Against Princeton, one of the best teams in the country this year, Amherst pulled out three individual wins, and the Jeffs lost to Army by only 5 to 4. The Crimson, on the other hand, handed Army a decisive 8-1 pasting. Today the varsity will be using much the same team that faced Army, with the same people playing in more-or-less the same places. Roger Weigand's move to the number four position is the only major change.

The freshmen this week have matches against Amherst, Andover, Penn, and Princeton. Undefeated thus far, the Yardlings have an exceptionally good team with several possible contenders for future varsity positions.

Heading the freshmen is Lou Williams, a hard worker who makes the most of a long reach. Immediately behind him are Vic Niederhoffer and John Vinton, the brother of a member of last year's varsity. Niederhoffer had never played squash before this winter, but has competed extensively in tennis and paddle tennis. Vinton relies mainly on speed on the court and volleyed shots.

Williams held the same position at Exeter last year as he now holds on the freshman squad, and he has the same number four man, John Thorndlike, behind him now as he did then. Naturally fast on his feet, Thorndike has concentrated on improving his tactics.