HAA May Try TV Coverage Of Swim Meet

Will Decide Today On Closed-Circuit

By Robert E. Smith

The Department of Athletics received estimates from two firms yesterday onn televising the Yale swimming meet Saturday via a closed-circuit system. The HAA expects an answer this morning from the firm and from the telephone company on the feasibility of the last-minute project.

Hundreds of undergraduates were disappointed Monday morning when 300-450 tickets allotted to students were sold out for the meet that will decide the Eastern Intercollegiate Swim Title.

H.A.A. officials and television representatives spent yesterday checking the lighting in the I.A.B. and touring various University auditoriums to determine the best site for the showing.

Donald M. Felt '52, Assistant Director of Athletics, said that the meet will be held in Sanders Theatre, if possible. This plan would cost the H.A.A. $800. Although he hoped that undergraduates would be admitted free or at a reduced fee, he estimated that the H.A.A. needed $1 per person to finance the project.

1600 Seats

Meanwhile, the exact number of tickets allotted to undergraduates remained top secret at 60 Boylston St. Of the 1600 events and standing room tickets, 400 event to Yale by mutual agreement, 200 event to the varsity swimmers (two complimentaries per man and an unlimited number to purchase), 50 to working press, 50 for meet officials, who receive no other reimbursement, and 900 to alumni and undergraduates. The number sold to students was estimated variously from 300 to 450.

Meet to Be Flimed

The meet will be filmed for newareel movies and by the Harvard and Yale Departments of Athletics, broadcast by the two student radio stations, and--if present plans materialize--televised for the first time in the I.A.B.'s history.

From the swimming team came a complaint that, although this is a home meet for the varsity, the Yale student body representation will be at least as large if not larger than the contingent from the College.