Cheever Resigns From Faculty; Rowan Will Accept Capital Post

Daniel S. Cheever '39 has resigned from the Faculty to accept two associate professorships at the University of Pittsburg next September.

Cheever is lecturer on Government and Special Research Assistant to President Pusey. He will hold these positions for the rest of the school year.

He has been appointed Heinz Associate Professor of International Affairs in the new Graduate School of Public and International Affairs, and associate professor of Political Affairs in the Division of the Social Sciences.

Cheever expects to complete the study he is now making of the impact of Federal funds on the University by early summer.

Rowan to Work in Capital

The CRIMSON learned yesterday that Henry S. Rowan, a research associate at the Center for International Affairs, will be appointed to a high-level position in the Defense Department within the next ten days. He is expected to serve as deputy to Paul H. Nitze '28, the Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Affairs.

Rowan will presumably head a policy planning staff concerned with the National Security Council, but there has been no official announcement from Washington. Sources at the Center for International Affairs will neither confirm nor deny the reports.

He has been at the University since last September, on leave from the Rand Corporation, doing research in military strategy and arms control. Rowan is working on a book covering this subject.

Donovan Appointed Senior Tutor

Robert Kent Donovan '54, teaching fellow in History and Literature, has been appointed acting Allston Burr Senior Tutor of Leverett House for the academic year 1961-62. He will replace Richard T. Gill '48, assistant professor of Economics, who will take a year's sabbatical beginning next fall.

John T. Dunlop, professor of Economics, will probably replace Gill as head of Ec 1. Dunlop has been appointed chairman of the Economics Department, effective July 1.