Swimmers Win Two More Firsts At EISL Meet in Princeton Pool

Hunter Wins 50

By Michael S. Lottman, (Special to the CRIMSON)

PRINCETON, N.J., March 10--The varsity swimming team took two more first places in the EISL championships here tonight, but was upstaged by an unheralded twosome from North Carolina State.

Crimson victories came in the 50-yard freestyle, in which Bruce Hunter swam 22.2, and in the 400-yard freestyle relay. Meet records either fell or were equalled in every event, and the list for Princeton's Dillon Pool also underwent considerable revision.

In the fifty, Hunter settled the score with Dartmouth's Charlie Brown, who upset him last year. Hunter was ahead at the turn, and won by an easily discernible margin, something that doesn't often happen in the fifty. His time tied the meet mark (shared by Brown and Amherst's Robert Keiter) and knocked one-tenth of a second off the pool record set by the great Dick Cleveland in 1952.

Brown was second tonight in 22.4.

The 400 Freestyle Relay

Leading off in the relay, Harvard's Alan Engelberg came in a body-length behind Navy's Don Diget, despite the fact that he covered his hundred in 51.0. Bill Zentgraf roared out after the pace setter, and nearly threw himself out of the pool with a vigorous turn after his first 25 yards. Even though he made another had turn and almost swam into the ropes, Zentgraf contributed a 50.5 leg and brought the Crimson even with Navy.

This was all the varsity needed, with Bob Kaufman and Hunter to put the race away. Kaufmann whipped off a superb 48.3, and Hunter, with the pressure off, did 48.6. The team's time, 3:18.4 established new meet and pool marks.

Yale came up to take second in 3:21.9.

Still, the varsity had to share the spotlight with a makeshift team from North Carolina State. State sophomore Ed Spencer won the 200 yard butterfly, and his teammate, Hungarian Peter Fogarasy, captured the 300 yard breast stroke as both turned in meet record clockings.

Spencer's butterfly time before the EISL's was listed as 2:10.0, but he swam 2:04.9 tonight to break the meet and pool standards and deefat Dave Karetsky and George Bissell of Yale. The Crimson's Jim Coffman, with 2:07.9, and John Pringle, with 2:09.1, were fifth and sixth. In trials this afternoon, Coffman did a 2:07.4, his personal best.

Fogarasy Sets Record

Fogarasy overhauled Princeton's Gardiner Green in the breaststroke and finished first in a sparkling 2:18.1. His time set new pool and meet marks, and was only half a second off the American record held by Michigan's Ron Clark. Alec Borden of Colgate had broken the old meet record with a 2:21.2 this afternoon, But Fogarasy claimed it at 2:19.0 ten minutes later and lowered it tonight.

The home fans got a chance to cheer when Tiger Tom Welch won the 200-yard backstroke in 2:06.1. after a battle with Bob Boni and Alan Cunningham of Yale. Welch's time was a new meet mark, but wasn't even near the pool record of 2:04.5, held by Princeton freshman Jed Graff.