Winthrop Basketball Beats Yale; Also to Meet College in Hockey

The Houses are well on their way toward continuing the supremacy over the Yale Colleges in the winter sports that they began in the fall. In November, the House touch football teams won eight out of nine games with their Yalie counterparts.

Last Saturday, Winthrop's basketball team traveled to New Haven to beat Silliman College in overtime, 57-55. Throughout the game, neither team held a lead of more than six points, and at the end of regulation time the score was tied, 51-51.

Archibald Cox tipped in a basket and Gerald Jordan hit a jump shot in the middle of the overtime. But James Legier's two foul shots with 30 seconds left in the period won the game. Cox was high scorer with 26.

Winthrop will also represent the University in hockey against Brandford College Saturday at 3 p.m. at Watson Rink. The Puritans currently have a 13-1 record. Kirkland is second in the House league with a 9-5-1 record.

In squash. Dunster House won the A league to earn the right to meet Calhoun College away at 3 p.m. next Saturday. In total points, Adams House, winner of the and C leagues, and second in the A league, was first with 170 points. Dunster had 145 points, and Kirkland and Lowell were tied for third with 125 each.

Leverett and Quincy are having a swim off today at 5 p.m. to determine who will meet Saybrook College, Yale's winner, his Saturday at 3 p.m. at the I.A.B. Final Basketball Standings:  A League Winthrop  15-1 Leverett  13-3 Dunster  11-5 Eliot  10-6 Kirkland  9-7 Adams  8-8 Dudley  3-13 Lowell  3-13 Quincy  0-16