Quincy Swimmers Top Leverett, Meet Yale's Saybrook Saturday

A strong intramural team of Quincy House swimmers took first place in five out of seven events to down Leverett House 32-18 yesterday at a special swim-off at the I.A.B. The winner earned the right to represent the College against Yale's intramural champion, Saybrook College.

Both Quincy and Leverett finished the regular season with 7-1 records. Quincy lost to Kirkland House early in the year, and Leverett was beaten by Quincy. The score of the first Quincy-Leverett clash was also 32-18.

Since there are only seven events in a House meet, the relays are key factors in a victory. Quincy won both the 200 medley relay and the 200 yard freestyle relay.

Because of a freak in the House rules, Leverett very nearly won yesterday's meet. At the start of the 200 yard freestyle, the last event, Leverett trailed 25-18. If they had won the relay, worth seven points, they would have tied the score. But the rules state that in the event of a tie, the team winning the 200 freestyle relay also wins the meet.

Leverett's brief hopes were dashed, however, when the Quincy team of Steven Schroeder, Michael Mayers, Thomas Lightbody and Kenneth Brown won the 200 freestyle relay in 1:48.1.

Quincy won the 200 medley relay in 2:02.9 with a team of Thomas Angell, Lightbody, Mayers, and Schroeder. Angell won the 50 breaststroke in 35.9 seconds. John Arnold of Leverett was second.