Columbia Project Plans to Send American Instructions Into Africa

A group of 150 Americans, under the auspices of Teachers College of Columbia, will go to British East Africa next summer to teach local secondary schools. The deadline for filling applications is March 31.

Although varying according to teaching experience, basic salary for the participants will be $3200 per year. In addition, teachers will receive clothing, travel allowances, and free medical service. Low-rental housing is expected to be available for most.

All those selected for the project will undergo three weeks of orientation at Teachers College, starting June 26. Three distinct groups will make up the teaching force, depending on educational background and teaching experience.

60 A.B.'s

The first contingent, consisting of 60 experienced teachers with A.B.'s, will spend a two month orientation period at Makere College in Kampals, Uganda, beginning this July. They will start to teach in September. A second group of liberal arts graduates without teaching experience will be assigned to Makers for an academic year. They will then assume teaching posts in May, 1962.

The fifty graduates with some professional preparation in education who make up Group C will begin teaching in January, 1962.

Each person accepted for the program will receive an East Africa Training Fellowship, which will provide living expenses and a cash allowance for the orientation periods at Teachers College and at Makere. The prospective teachers will get instruction in the history and geography of East Africa, as well as special language training.

The original tour of duty for participants will be two years, at the end of which they will be two years, at the end of which they will receive 25 per cent bonuses. Over 1,000 persons have already filed applications for the program.