THE SPORTING SCENE

TENNIS

The Ivy Group may be inbred but it has made a confirmed traveller of Harvard. As one eighth of an association, generally expected to operate on a home-and-home basis, the Crimson football team apparently would be faced with playing four games away from Cambridge for the first time in its history.

Ever since football began here, no Crimson eleven was allowed to play more than two games away from home. In 1949, however, one did so anyway. In direct opposition to the regulations of the Faculty Committee on Athletic Sports, the squad not only played Columbia and Yale there, but it flew cross country to return an engagement with Stanford. Although the Crimson lost, 44 to 0, it defended it excess travelling on the grounds that the game was played before school actually opened.

The next year, a vote of the faculty rescinded the two-games-away limitation and left the scheduling and location of contests up to the Director of Athletics and the approval of the Deans. The team made no use of this freedom until 1951, however, when the squad visited Columbia, Cornell, and Yale. It lost in New York City, 35 to 0, and at Ithaca, 42 to 6. Though the eleven managed to salvage the disastrous season with a 21-21 tie at New Haven, it has never gone away so often in one season since.

Will Play in Hanover

Now in an eight-team league, the varsity apparently should play four games away one year and three the next. But while Columbia, Cornell, Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Yale will demand reciprocal trade on football sites, Brown and Dartmouth will not.

The Crimson has played Brown at Providence three times, in 1925, 1945, and 1952. The varsity has visited Hanover twice--in 1884 and 1946--and will travel there next fall. Both schools draw bigger crowds and more alumni by meeting the Crimson in Cambridge.