University Remains Silent About Kennedy, 'Stilts' Veto

By Robert E. Smith

The University was silent yesterday about a report from Washington that President Kennedy exerted his influence to veto John Briston Sullivan's proposal for a 15-story office building on stilts in the Square.

The New York Times said that Kennedy, approached by "civic-minded Cambridge citizens," asked Kenneth D. O'Donnell '49, his special assistant, to phone leading state Democrats and "urge" that they veto the bill.

Commented President Pusey, "No comment."

Charles P. Whitlock, Assistant to President Pusey for Civic Affairs, revealed that McGeorge Bundy, former Dean of the Faculty and now Kennedy's Special Assistant for National Security, was in town during the furor over the proposed building. According to Whitlock, Cambridge friends of Bundy, including members of the University, asked him to see what influence the White House and its Harvard occupant might have.

Asked whether the University could clear itself of the charge of urging Kennedy to use his influence, Whitlock replied, "No comment."

Bundy has several friends--including his brother-in-law--in the Cambridge Civic Association, which joined the University in objecting to Sullivan's project. No one at Harvard, however, would deny that pressure upon Bundy came from University officials as well as the CCA.

Bundy Rallies Republicans

The Times said that Bundy rallied support among local Republicans and that O'Donnell contacted the Democrats. "The President thought that he had better stay out of the fight," the story said. When the state legislature's Democratic majorities pushed through the bill authorizing sale, according to the Times, Kennedy "quietly let his views be known in the right places."

The State Senate passed the bill to sell the plot across from Littauer, 20 to 9, Feb. 23; four days later the Senate voted, 21 to 15, for final approval. Governor Volpe, a Republican, vetoed the bill; and one week ago the Senate upheld the veto, 19 to 17.

Also active in helping the University's cause was Republican Sen. Leverett Saltonstall '14, the Times reported.

The most University officials would say about the situation was an expression of chagrin--and surprise--that the story leaked in Washington.