University Seeks Ideas About Married Housing

Inquiry Studies Problems, Needs

By Steven V. Roberts

In an attempt to answer the growing demand for adequate housing for married students and younger faculty members, the University has distributed a questionnaire to all students not living in dormitories and corporation employees below the rank of instructor.

When tabulated, the responses to the questionnaires will give the Administration a direction and a basis on which to plan for use of the $7 million reserved for married student housing in the Program for Harvard College.

Ever since President Pusey noted the "hapless situation" of married students in his annual report of 1956, the possibility of such construction by the University has been discussed. However, this is the first time that a thorough study of the housing problem--as related to student and faculty personnel--has been undertaken, according to Harold L. Goyette of the Planning Office.

The most probable site for the construction is on the University owned property on Memorial Drive below Dunster House. The University's holdings begin after the Corporal Burns Playground and extend for several blocks to Western Avenue.

Possible Construction in Two Years

After the questionnaire has provided a general idea as to what young couples in the Harvard community would like to be included, the plans will be delivered to an architect. Indications are that actual construction will begin within two years.

In a letter attached to the questionnaire, which was distributed to 7,300 students and younger faculty members not living in University dormitories, L. Gard Wiggins, Administrative vice-President, noted that the "bad housing conditions" have a negative effect on the educational process itself."

The purpose of the inquiry, the letter continued, was to determine exactly what housing needs existed, and what were present conditions.

The questions asked were divided into three categories--the student's present housing arrangements, his preference for different plans that might be considered, and information concerning his automobile, which the University considers as integral part of the housing problem.

The Administration has made it clear in the past that graduate housing ranks in priority above the tenth House. Apart from the area behind Dunster, the Administration has also indicated an interest in some of the vacant land adjacent to the Business School.