Four Secondary School Teachers To Receive Awards at Graduation

Seniors Will Nominate

College seniors who have been waiting for a chance to repay the good old Mr. Chips of their secondary school are currently nominating the high-school or prep-school teacher who had a "significant impact" on their lives for four "Awards for Distinguished Secondary Teachers."

A recent anonymous donation has established a fund from which an annual award of $1,250 will be made to each of the four winners. The recipients will be chosen from the nominations by a Faculty Committee on Awards for Distinguished Teachers.

The Committee will contact the school of each teacher nominated to obtain reports on which to judge the candidates. The awards will be presented by President Pusey at Commencement and will be based on class-room excellence, not guidance given outside the classroom.

"The great teacher has always played a cruicial, though little recognized, role in the life of our nation," stated Edwin H. Sauer, associate professor of Education and chairman of the Committee. "Through the Harvard student body we can recognize a few of the thousands of fine teachers who set today's youth on the path to future responsible citizenship."

Because of a late start this year, the Committee can handle only the nominations of seniors planning on graduate work and therefore considered more interested than others in the academic nature of the award. Nominations in response to the Committee's recent questionnaire have already shown a "surprising" number of duplications, Sauer reported.

In the future, all members of a graduating class will participate in nominations during the spring of their junior year.