Swimmers Finish NCAA Meet With Record-Setting Relay Win

Place Fourth in Team Standings

The Crimson finished fourth in final team standings of the National Collegiate swimming championships after the 400-yard freestyle relay team set a new NCAA meet record Saturday night. The team overtook Michigan State's early lead to win the event in 3:18.3.

The team of Bob Kaufmann, Alan Engelberg, Bill Zentgraf and Bruce Hunter was two tenths of a second under the record set by Southern California last year. Michigan State, which had the fastest qualifying time, was second in 3:20. Yale finished fourth in 3:21.

In other events, Bob Kaufmann was third in the individual medley in 2:05.4. Bruce Hunter finished fifth in the 50-yard freestyle in a time of 22.5 seconds. A new record was set by Frank Legacki of Michigan in 21.4.

In all, a total of 13 records fell in the three-day Seattlt meet, Michigan set four of them--including new American marks in the 100-yard butterfly and 100-yard breaststroke--to beat favored Southern California in team standings. Ohio State, tied with Harvard for third until Sunday, took the first three places in the three-meter diving to clinch third over the Crimson.

Murray Rose of Southern California took individual honors as he smashed records in the 1500-meter, 220-yard and 440-yard freestyle events.

The Crimson is now looking forward to the AAU championships, which begin next Thursday in New Haven. Among the 200 swimmers, and 12 Olympic gold medal winners entered in the competition will be Bruce Hunter, Bob Kaufmann, Jeff Lewy and Jay Shelton.

This means that five of the swimmers who went to Seattle--Schellestede, Zentgraf, Engelberg, Mulligan, and Coffmann--will not compete in New Haven. In commenting on this decrease in the squad, one swimmer observed: "It's late, and we're behind in our work. We'd rather catch up with it before it catches up with us."