Crimson Quintet Meets Penn at Palestra

By Steven V. Roberts

While the swimming team is enjoying its moments of glory during the long-awaited Yale meet this weekend, the varsity basketball team will be finishing a season of lost hope against Penn at Philadelphia's Palestra tonight and against Princeton at Dillon Gym tomorrow. In its final game the Crimson will meet Yale at the IAB Wednesday.

The weekend doesn't shape up as a pleasant one, to say the least. Penn handed the Crimson a humiliating 95-53 beating last week, and with a chance to secure their current second place ranking the Quakers should be anything but what their deceptive nickname implies.

Center Bob Mlkvy, the team's only senior of note, guards Sid Amira and John Wideman, and forwards Jim Graham and Bob Purdy all scored in double figures in Saturday's game. At last report none had suffered any disabling injuries that might keep them out of action.

For those who are waiting until next year for the Crimson basketball fortunes to turn, it should be noted that the four Penn starters besides Mlkvy plus the top three reserves are sophomores.

Amira, a 6 ft., 2 in. jump shooter, is the top scorer with a 13.5 average, but Wide-man is the man that people are talking about. After an injury slowed him down early in the season, he has finally regained full health, as his 21 points and 13 rebounds against Harvard last week demonstrated.

There isn't too much to say about Princeton. It is an outstanding team, with good shooting, rebounding, and ball-handling. They can clinch the Ivy League title by winning tomorrow.

Pete Campbell, fifth in the league, and Al Kammerlen, second behind Dartmouth's George Ramming, lead the Tiger scorers. Campbell and sophomore Art Hyland start in the backcourt and do the ball-handling. Kammerlen plays center and teams with captain Don Swan and Jack Whitehouse under the backboards.

Denny Lynch, the Crimson's top scorer in recent games, will probably start at center, with Pete Kelley and Gary Borchard at forwards, and Bob Bowditch and Joe Deering at guards.

Last week Harvard dreamers could have imaged an 3-6 record. Now the best they can hope for is 6-8, which isn't a very good bet no matter what the odds.