Golf Team Boasts Six Lettermen; Squad to Spend Vacation at Duke

Weiland Expects Improvement

Six returning lettermen should produce an improved Crimson golf team this spring, according to coach Ralph ("Cooney") Weiland.

The annual spring vacation trip to the South will, Weiland hopes, give the team a head start in its drive to better last year's mediocre record. Last year the team won only five of its 13 matches, and was able to defeat only two of its six Ivy League opponents. Making the journey to Duke University in Durham, N.C., will be veterans Bruce Johnstone, Al Lipsky, John Livingood, Al Locker, Dave Rudnick, and captain Fiske Warren.

In addition, hopefuls Dough Eaton and Herb Wallen, and freshman Bob Benson will also spend the vacation at Duke. George Duffy, Ralph Ells, and Bob Holton will be practicing on their home courses. Duffy, who saw only limited action last year, won the Henderson Memorial Golf Tournament this past fall.

Warren to Be No. 1

Weiland wants "to see how they look down South" before predicting a definite ranking of the players. He indicated, however, that Warren will probably retain his No. 1 status and that Duffy, Livingood, and Locker will probably fill the next three positions.

Optimistic about the coming campaign, Weiland emphasized the "year's experience and year's competition" of the present squad. The opportunity to practice on the Myopia Country Club course as well as at the Country Club of Brookline should also improve the team's chances, he said. He noted that Dartmouth, Princeton, and Yale, perennial Ivy League powers, have their own links.

The golfers will play no intercollegiate matches while at Duke, and their spring schedule is not yet complete. Definite opponents, however, include Princeton (away), M.I.T. (at Oakley C.C.), Columbia and Penn (away), Brown (at Myopia C.C.), Yale (at The Country Club), and Brown (at Myopia C.C.). In addition, the team will compete in the Greater Boston Collegiate Tournament and the Intercollegiate Tournament, to be held at Yale.