Eli Team Downs Wrestlers, 18-13: Wins Big 3 Title

Saturday belonged to Yale. The Bulldogs won the swimming meet, the fencing match, the Heptagonal Games; they tied a strong Crimson hockey team. Not to be outdone, the Eli wrestlers defeated the varsity, 18 to 13, to take the Big Three Championship.

The match began with hopes for a Crimson victory as the matmen swept three of the first four bouts. Tony Woodfield's easy 12-3 decision over Habib Ladjevardi at 123 inspired a similar rout by George Doub (130), who decisioned Phil Scott, 14 to 0. At 137 Tom Ownsley was downed by Yalie Tim Welles, but captain Nick Estabrook (147) came through with a 7-3 win.

Estabrook's win was the last for the varsity. Bob Kolodney tied Eli Jon Bogert, 5 to 5, in the 157 division. Then came three straight Yale wins. Bill Weber handed the Crimson's J. C. Freienmuth von Helms (167) his third straight loss, 4 to 1. John Valentine next found himself pinned at 4:10, and Red Grant (191) lost a 5-0 decision to Yale captain Hardy Will, giving the Bulldogs a 14-11 lead.

The crucial match was the heavyweight bout. A Harvard win by decision would tie the meet, a pin would give the varsity the match and the Big Three title. But Tom Gaston could only wrestle Yale's Bill McCormick to a 2-2 draw.

Things look bad for next year too. The Yale freshmen trounced the Yardlings 27-8.