Tennis Varsity Sweeps Southern Trip Matches

Last week's spring trip left the Crimson tennis team with a perfect string of victories and two-thirds of a solution to the past year's biggest problem--doubles. Playing separate schedules, the first and second six usually rolled up 8-1 or margins over their opponents. The match of the campaign was the six's 5-4 win over North Carolina on Monday, April 3.

Against North Carolina, the first six two out of three in doubles, including the number one match played by Bob and Paul Sullivan. Bowditch d Sullivan continued to work excellent- together all through the trip, as did Adelman and Kal Pollen, a combination from the second six very possibly the second varsity pair this spring.

The North Carolina match followed a effort by the top and second against Byrd Park, which the Crimson defeated 14 to 7. During the rest of week, the first six defeated North again, by 6 to 3 (Tuesday), by 8 to 1 (Wednesday) and 7 to (Thursday), Duke by 6 to 3 (Friday, the Country Club of Virginia by 9 to (Saturday). The second six posted wins Kalamazoo and Toledo.

Adeiman, Pollen Win

Crimson Coach Jack Barnaby moved delman and Pollen up to number two in varsity doubles against the Country Club of Virginia, and the pair won in sets. But who will play behind two in the remaining slot is far certain. At present, Doug Walter Keith Martin are holding the third , and Peter Smith and Mark the fourth.

In singles, the spring trip's main result continued puzzlement as to whether Sullivan can repeat the victory he last fall over Bowditch in the match for number one ranking. In the trip's "second-day" matches, the switched opponents, and both play- defeated and lost to exactly the same . Bowditch's victories, however, were generally quicker than Sullivan's.

The two will play test matches during the coming week, and will probably use the "intercollegiate set" for some of them. The intercollegiate set is a new scoring system to be experimented with this year in test matches and already-decided varsity matches. Under the new system, one extra-long set decides the match. To win this set a player must take at least 12 games, plus as many more as he needs to get his total two games ahead of his opponent, as is necessary to win a standard set.

Adeiman, Pollen Win

Adeiman, Pollen Win

Adeiman, Pollen Win