Pusey Presents '61 Ledlie Prize To Kistiakowsky

Chemist Receives High Honor For Research, Advisory Role

George B. Kistiakowsky, Abbott and James Lawrence Professor of Chemistry, yesterday received the George Ledlie Prize--highest award given to Faculty members by the University--in recognition of his research into molecular action and his role as special science assistant to President Eisenhower.

President Pusey made the presentation at the afternoon Faculty meeting.

Yesterday was the fourth time the Ledlie Prize has been given. The award is presented every two years to the individual at Harvard who has made "the most valuable contribution to science, or in any way, for the benefit of mankind."

In his investigation into the nature of various chemical changes, Kistiakowsky has studied the precise ways in which molecules break up and re-form into new substances. He has also been interested in the kinetics of free radicals--unstable particles which separate off from molecules and then recombine into stable molecules in a millionth of a second.

Kistiakowsky has served on the President's Science Advisory Committee since its organization, and was Special Assistant for Science and Technology to President Eisenhower.