Speakers Claim Rights Infringed

Two men about to serve a year each in jail for contempt of Congress pleaded last night for a public crusade to restore individual rights under the First Amendment, and to abolish the House UnA-merican Activities Committee.

Frank Wilkinson and Carl Braden, speaking at the Community Church of Boston, claimed that the Committee had investigated them because they had criticized it, and support projects of which its members disapproved.

"It is the very nature of our democracy that efforts to suppress free speech create greater free speech," Wilkinson claimed. "For every voice silenced in jail, a thousand new voices will be raised."

The Supreme Court upheld the convictions of Braden and Wilkinson for refusing to answer questions about personal contacts and associations in a 5-4 decision on February 27.

Free Speech 'Eroded'

According to Braden, the First Amendment "has been eroded for the past 23 years. It's pretty well gone now."

"We will not save free speech unless we are prepared to go to jail in its defense. We are prepared to pay that price," Wilkinson said.