Parking Fines

Parking violations around the Square and the rest of Cambridge have long been a nuisance, and stiffer fines, as proposed by the City Council, along with stiffer enforcement would be a firm step towards solving the problem.

Motorists are now able to over-park, park illegally, or even double-park with a pretty good chance of driving off without a ticket. Fines when assessed are a mere $2 (to the nth offense); they do little to scare off future violations.

Probably the greatest frustration to traffic or easy parking in the area is the daily influx of commuters who park their cars near the Harvard or Central Square subway stations from nine to five. Others also tie up parking places for most of the day, preventing those who want to park for a shorter time from finding a nearby space.

An increased fine--$3 to $5 for the third to ninth offense, $10 thereafter--would make the heretofore crafty motorist think twice before leaving his car in a prime spot for most of the day or obstructing traffic. But the increased fines will work as a deterrent only with better enforcement than at present. In a city where 100 per cent enforcement is impossible because of the size of the police department, random fines must be made. But random fines can be effective if they are regular, stiff, and "unfixable."

Opponents of the measure on the City Council argue that rougher treatment of parking violators would scare potential spenders away from the community. Few shoppers, however, care to visit a clogged city, much less one whose officials call lax parking enforcement "inevitable" and let it continue.

Increased fines--with regular enforcement--will not solve all of Cambridge's ills but will surely cut down on blatant violations. A frequent turnover in parking spaces should keep more people happier.

And while the Council committee on ordinances debates parking fines, the police might follow through on its threats to make bicycle and motorcycle enforcement fair to everyone--including pedestrians.