Small Turnout Dampens Picket Warfare

By Joseph M. Russin

Despite favorable weather and an abundance of signs, picketers were conspicuous by their absence Saturday in front of the John Birch Society headquarters. Spunky Karen M. Smith led a line of only five or sometimes six students in protest against the "methods" used by the Communist hunting Birch Society.

In opposition, James D. Perry '63, brought out a group of 16 Harvard men to parade under the CAMP (Committee Against Misguided Picketing) banner.

While CRAP (Committee to Repress Anti-Pickets) declined to appear, Jon Harrington '63 staged a one-man "maverick" picket apparently in support of the Birch group, but then "not really."

Miss Smith also stood alone at times during the two hour demonstration. However, her ranks occasionally were joined by Belmont High School friends. At one point three police cars apprehensively watched Miss Smith and one companion picket.

Perry described the afternoon as "going perfectly." He defended CAMP's stand by predicting the result of Miss Smith's action would be "to get more members for the Society."

Pickets in the Smith line proclaimed "One McCarthy is Enough," and maintained that "The only good bigot is a dead bigot." CAMP's position seemed to be defined by a "Have picket will travel" sign. "Karen go home" was their advice.

Miss Smith, a highly attractive straight A student at Belmont High School, thought CAMP "contributed to the farce of the thing." The Lampoon decided the picketing was a good occasion for distributing free copies of its latest farce issue.

Although "very disappointed" with the small turnout, Miss Smith vowed not "to leave the thing up in the air." She hopes to interview Birch leader Robert Welch and stage another picket "with organized support."

Robert Morrill, Karen's steady boyfriend, described her as "the kind of girl who won't quit. She amazes me." Morrill and some friends from the high school sang songs while Miss Smith marched.