Crimson Team Faces Springfield Today

The Crimson baseball team will get a respite from the two pennant races in which it is involved when it meets Springfield at soldiers Field today.

Since the Maroons are in neither the Greater Boston nor the Eastern League, coach Norm Shepard might start one of his pitchers who has not seen much action thus far. That could be either Drew Kemalian, Tom Jones, or Wally Cook.

Shepard Tightens Defense

In an effort to tighten up the Crimson defense, Shepard used Phil Bernstein in place of Jim Mullen at first base and Corky Cronin for Billy Rodgers at third in the Princeton game. Bernstein got two hits and should continue to play, but Curly Combs, or even outfielder Mike Drummey might be moved in.

Drummey, who has been playing right field all year, was an infielder last season and might be a help. The Harvard defense was instrumental in Navy's 5-2 victory, since four of the runs were unearned, the result of six errors.

The leading hitter at this point is senior centerfielder Dick Shima, who go seven hits in 14 at bats last week to raise his average to .375. Shima's .288 tied him with Dave Morse for the team leadership last season.