Henning Agrees Loeb Overusing Outside Players

"I agree that it is a shame that more Harvard and Radcliffe actors have not been involved in productions at the Loeb," Joel Henning, co-producer of the Harvard Summer Theatre, said yesterday, commenting on President Bunting's recent statement about the Loeb Drama Center.

"Under present conditions," Henning went on to say, "many good actors have the idea that the Loeb is too big and professional for them." He indicated that people have stayed away, causing the season to be "rough and slipshod."

John Hancock, Henning's colleague this summer, added that the type of extravaganza the Loeb has specialized in exhausts our local talent after one shot." No definite plans have been made about the size of this summer's company, but Hancock said he hoped that no "fear of the Loeb" would prevent his group from using as many Harvard-Radcliffe people as possible.

Henning stressed that the summer theater would remain a working part of the Summer School. Grants-in-aid will be given to certain members of the company requiring financial assistance.

Hancock pointed out that he would prefer to get under way right now with a local group. In case this series of auditions at Harvard does not supply a full company, plans have been made for a talent hunt next week at Columbia, Yale, Brown, and other colleges in the East.

As yet only a few key positions have been filled in the summer theatre company.