Few Freshmen Offer Blood Samples For Research on Infectious Diseases

Freshman cooperation with the infectious disease survey conducted by the University Health Services and the Harvard Medical School has been less than was anticipated, according to Jack S. Remington, Research Fellow in Medicine, who is conducting the survey.

Dr. Remington explained that such cooperation is essential if the project is to be successful. By comparing blood drawn at the beginning of the year with that taken at this time, the study group will determine the diseases to which the subject has been exposed during the school year.

This information, coupled with data on the illnesses actually suffered by the subjects will indicate to which organisms college students are exposed and reveal which are particularly responsible for disease.

"Lousy Example"

"So far the freshmen are setting a lousy example," Dr. Remington commented. Blood samples were drawn from about 700 members of the class during the physical examinations at the beginning of the year. Each of these students will receive a letter asking him to visit the station set up in the lower common room of the Union to have another sample drawn.

Although 800 of the letters have been sent out already, only about 50 students have stopped by to have the blood drawn.

Football Team Responds

Blood samples were also collected from the varsity football team, and, according to Dr. Remington, over 60 per cent of the team came in to have the second sample taken. A similar study on football players is currently going on at Yale.

Among the diseases under study are viral pneumonia, infectious mononucleosis, and toxoplasmosis. Students who participate in the program will be notified if the tests show that they have been exposed to these diseases. The results of the study will appear in a medical journal.