Oxford Tutor Reviews Imperialism of Athens In Jackson Lectures

"In the late '30's of the fifth century B.C., Pericles told the Athenians that their empire was a tyranny." With this as his background, Russell Meiggs, Fellow and Tutor of Balliol College, Oxford, proceeded last night to reconstruct Athenian history from 465-450 B.C. in the first part of this year's Jackson Lectures on "The Crisis of Athenian Imperialism."

After her disastrous defeat by the Persians in Egypt in 454, Athens moved to strengthen her control over her allies in the Delian League. Meiggs pointed to the importance of the transfer of the League's funds from Delos to Athens, since it enabled the Athenians to draw directly on the money to increase their power.

The Egyptian setback forced Athens to abandon her Peloponnesian campaign and concentrate all her resources on reversing the situation in the Eastern Mediterranean, to halt the disintegration of her hegemony in the Aegean.

Following the defeat, a large number of islands failed to contribute their annual allotments to Athens. However, by 450 B.C., the Athenians were able to restore much of their influence in the Aegean, setting the stage for their decision to transform the alliance into an empire.

To accomplish this, Crimson an ostracized politician, was specially recalled to Athens; he proceeded to make a with Sparta and lead a new Meltterranean campaign.