Crimson Nine Defeats B.U.

By Steven V. Roberts

Tom Boone pitched the varsity baseball team to a 4-2 victory over Boston University at Soldiers Field yesterday. Making his first start of the season. Boone allowed seven hits, walked four, and struck out five as the Crimson broke a three game losing streak.

The fourth was the junior lefthander's only rough inning as the Terriers bunched three hits for one run. That tied the score, as the Crimson had gone ahead in the second on a walk to Charlie Ravenel and a three base throwing error by B.U. pitcher Tom McGinnis on Phil Bernstein's bunt.

The Crimson broke the tie in the sixth as Dave Morse singled, went to second on a wild pitch, and came home on Bernstein's looping single to right.

In the seventh, Boone opened the inning with a pop fly to center that was dropped. Mike Drummey sacrificed and Morse increased the Crimson lead to two with his third hit, a single to left.

Don Poznauski's double in the eighth drove in a Terrier run, but Dick Diehl's single scored Ravenel for the Crimson's fourth run in the bottom of the inning.

Boone then struck out two men and induced the other to fly to center, thereby sewing up the win in the ninth. The victory gave the Crimson a 2-1 record in the Greater Boston League and a tie for second with Tufts. It has a 6-7 overall record.

Boone's route-going performance must have been a pleasant surprise for Coach Norm Shepard, whose pitching has been unsteady during the recent three game losing streak.