Overseers Reject Change in 1961 English Diplomas

By Claude E. Welch jr.

The Board of Overseers slammed the door Monday on any changes in diplomas this year. "It is entirely fitting and in accord with the traditions of the University that the text of diplomas be in English if the appropriate Faculty so recommends," the Board stated.

In recognition of widespread protest over the design of the new diplomas, however the Overseers recommended "early consideration to improving the format of the document." President Pusey, during the brief conference yesterday with the permanent Class Committee, pointed out permanent that change would be "impossible this summer," but felt "certain" that action would taken on a new design.

If graduating Seniors feel the diplomas even out at Commencement are not as handsome as those for next year, the president continued, they can exchange resident diplomas for the new design next summer. The President reiterated that he had "no idea" the switch to English would produce such a response.

Rule Out Engraving

The Overseers also ruled out the use engraved and engrossed script, because of "practical considerations." Diplomas would be printed in "suitable type," which the Overseers did not define.

Members of the Permanent Class Committee thanked the Overseers for their action, and believed that no further appeal would be possible, unless the Faculty of Arts and Sciences votes reconsideration at its meeting next Tuesday. Such consideration is unlikely, however, since the Faculty has voted twice in favor of English diplomas.

The Class Committee had posted the names and addresses of the Overseers in the Houses, along with a notice urging undergraduates to write them and protect the English diplomas.