Williams Will Challenge Crimson Lacrosse Team

By Peter A. Derow

Last year at this time, the varsity lacrosse team traveled to Williamstown where it was vanquished and humiliated by a classy Williams squad. This afternoon, the boys from Williamstown will be trying for a repeat peformance on the Business School Field.

Williams has lost all-Americans Dankemeyer asd Boynton, but their close 9-8 loss to Yale earlier this season indicates that they're still plenty tough. They play a fast, neat game, accented by excellent stickwork and a rapid attack.

Whether the varsity whips Williams will probably be more a question of attitude than of manpower. The Crimson has the potential to ruin Williams and take the New England Championship from them. But there are some obstacles.

First is the fact that goalie Gil Leaf was decked in the Princeton game last Saturday. He sustained a sprained ankle, and will not see action today. Leo Ullman replaced him Saturday and will start in the Crimson nets this afternoon.

Saturday at Princeton, Ullman played well, considering that he has spent most of this season at midfield. Ullman will be well supported by the Crimson defensive unit of Henry Field, Arnie Margoluis, and Dave Grannis.

When Leaf went out of the game last Saturday, this trio did an excellent job of increasing the pressure on the Princeton offense. Often they saved Ullman from having to deal with accurate shots by blocking the shot or the shooter before either got to the crease.

Coach Bruce Munro will be alternating his midfields all afternoon. Captain Tadhg Sweeney, Hal Louchheim, and Joe Prahl will probably run for the first three minutes. Right behind them will be Pete Sieglaff, Dave Nyhan, and Gil Bamford.

Both of these trios absorbed plenty of punishment last Saturday, and chances are good that this afternoon they won't be on the receiving end again if they can help it.

Woody Spruance, Dave Bohn, and Grady Watts will start at attack. Their combined play will be one of the decisive factors of the ballgame. If Watts, Spruance, and Bohn can shake off their defensemen long enough to pass to breaking midfielders or to score themselves, the boys from Williamstown will make the long trip home with a big fat loss under their collective belts.

Game time on the Business School flats is 3:30 p.m.