Williams Ties Lacrosse Squad, 10-10, After Trailing by 7-3 in Second Half

By Peter A. Derow

In a rough, see-saw 70-minute battle, Williams tied the varsity lacrosse team 10-10 yesterday. What's more, they fought back from a 7-3 deficit to do it.

Williams started fast, scoring twice in the first period, but the varsity played a tremendous second period, scoring six goals while holding Williams to a single tally. Captain Tadhg Sweeney started the Crimson scoring after driving and dodging through the Williams midfield and defense. Nine minutes later, Sweeney came through with a repeat performance and the varsity's sixth goal, putting the varsity in front 6 to 3 at the half.

But the boys from Williamstown are known as second half players, and it didn't take them long to show how they picked up the reputation. After midfielder Pets Sieglaff scored the Crimson's seventh goal, Williams broke loose with a five goal onslaught that threw an altogether different light on the contest.

By the close of the third frame, Williams had trimmed the varsity's lead to a single goal and at the start of the final period. Williams' captain and fast-dodging midfielder Bill Whitford fed Tom Degray for the tying tally. Five minutes later, Williams was in front by a goal, 8-7.

The crowd went wild and Grady Watts, in a clutch performance, hit Dave Nyhan on the crease to tie the score once again. Less than a minute later, Watts, covering the goalie on an out-of-bounds play, belted his stick and blocked the goalie's clear.

With barely a minute remaining in the game, Williams connected again, tying the score and pushing the contest into overtime.

In the second overtime, the Crimson scored first, on a fast Hal Louchheim from Joe Prahl combination. But Williams wasn't to be conquered, and with less than 25 seconds remaining, they tied the score at 10-10, where it remained.