Mullin, Blodgett Lead Trackmen Against Bulldogs

By Michael S. Lottman

Next year, chances are, Harvard will defeat Yale in track. But the victory, if it happens, will be an empty one. Tomorrow in New Haven, the Crimson will have its last opportunity to conquer a Yale team under the Jim Stack--Tommy Carroll dynasty.

Ever since the unknown little quarter-miler and the heralded 880 man from Fordham Prep ran their first races for the Bulldogs in 1959, each Yale meet has been for the Crimson a time of desperate hope--and a time of disappointment.

Last spring, the Crimson came as close as it is possible to come to upsetting the Elis--a 70-70 tie. It was the Gold Dust Twins who saved the Bulldogs then, as Stack took the 440 in 47.9 and Carroll captured the 880 in 1:49.8.

Loss Expected

If everything goes according to form tomorrow, the Crimson can expect to lose by 10 points or more. And no one is talking about the possibility that the cuts miler Mark Mullin suffered this week in a fall will stiffen up painfully. Mullin turned in a 3:01.0 three-quarters after his injury, so he should be ready.

Mullin will hook up with Bobby Mack of Yale in a repeat of last week's epic mile battle, which resulted in a 4:07.1 victory for the Crimson junior. Varsity coach Bill McCurdy could juggle the form chart by sending Mullin back into the 880 against Carroll. Mullin just might outrace the sore-legged Bulldog.

One man who could break open the meet is the Crimson's Tom Blodgett. Although Bulldogs Bill Flippin and Jay Luck are favored in the high and low hurdles, Blodgett could win both races. He could take the broad jump as easily as not, and his spell over Eli pole vaulter Oakley Andrews might start working again.

Competitors from both teams will be fighting for spots on the Harvard-Yale squad that will meet oxford and Cambridge June 13.