Crimson Heavies Fail To Qualify in Sprints

The varsity heavyweight crew didn't even qualify for the finals as Navy stole the show by nipping Cornell in the Eastern Sprint Championships Saturday on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester.

Coach Harvey Love's eight came in fourth in the morning heats, losing a chance to race in the finals when Syracuse put on a powerful sprint at the finish to win by just a yard. Cornell, whose six minutes flat was the best time of the day, came in first in the heat, followed closely by a much improved Yale team.

The Crimson actually took the lead at the start and held it until the 200 meter mark, when Cornell captured the lead for good. Solidly in second place at the halfway point, the Crimson found itself behind at 1,500 meters and when captain and stroke Perry Boyden called for more power, it was too late.

A broken stop watch was partly responsible for the varsity's closing sprint, which was not rowed at a sufficiently high stroke. Cox Jim Rosenstein had his watch in working order just long enough for the start of the race.