University Awards Ravenel, Boyden William J. Bingham Athletic Prize

Charles D. Ravenel and Perry T. Boyden have been named co-recipients of the University's highest athletic honor, the William J. Bingham award.

The award is given annually to "the member of the graduating class who, because of his integrity, courage, leadership and ability on the athletic field, has best served the high purposes of Harvard as exemplified by former athletic director William J. Bingham."

This year's award marks the second time the honor has been shared since it was first given in 1954. (Robert R. Foster and Dyke Benjamin shared the award in 1959.)

Ravenel and Boyden will have their names inscribed on a large plaque which hangs on the wall of the Dillion Field House lounge, and will also receive engraved watches, part of the tradition of the award. The watches will be presented this morning by Thomas D. Bolles, director of athletics, in a brief ceremony at the Field House lounge.

Boyden A Crew First

Boyden is the first to receive the award for crew, a sport where individual performance is almost impossible to measure. Captain of the heavyweights for the past two years, Boyden helped the Crimson through an undefeated season to the Grand Challenge Cup at Henley as a sophomore, and has subsequently distinguished himself as one of the greatest stroke oars in the illustrious history of Harvard crew.

Ravenel, presently an outfielder on the baseball team, will long be remembered for his outstanding performances at quarterback for the Crimson football team the past three seasons. Holder of the highest undergraduate elective office in the College--First Class Marshal--Ravenel was recently awarded a $5,000 grant for world travel from Corning Glass Company. Ravenel is the fourth representative of football and the second of baseball to be named.

Previous award winners are Langley Keyes (soccer and lacrosse), Jefferson Coolidge (football and hockey), Robert Rittenburg (track), James Jorgenson (swimming), John Simourian (football and baseball), Dale Junta (tennis), Robert Foster (football and wrestling), and Dyke Benjamin (cross country and track).