University Host to NATO Newsmen

See Loeb, CEA

By Robert E. Smith

Eighteen leading newsmen from 11 NATO countries toured the University yesterday in part of a 30-day, coast-to-coast inspection of the United States.

Mostly political and military writers, the group heard a welcome by J. Hampden Robb, University Marshal, and were ushered through two of the University's proudest possessions.

One group, after a cursory look at the Yard, visited the Cambridge Electron Accelerator, run jointly by Harvard and M.I.T. Milton S. Livingston, CEA Director, told the newsmen about the expected projects of the Accelerator and showed them through the nearly completed underground oval and complex power station.

Most of the visitors chose to tour the Loeb Drama Center, called the most modern theatre in America. At an earlier briefing session with Robb, the reporters and editors were curious about what Harvard thought about Harvard's great involvement in governing the country and what the University intended to do with its recently collected $82.5 million.

The tour of this country is being sponsored by the Department of State, the Department of Defense, and the U.S. Information Agency. After seeing Harvard and M.I.T. yesterday, the group now leaves for Langley Field, Norfolk, Va., Cape Canaveral, Seattle, and San Franciscoto unclassified areas in U.S. military operations.

Previously, the journalists were in Washington for press briefings at the White House, State Department, and USIA. They also saw the Nautllus in New London, Conn., and enjoyed a traditional Fourth of July celebration in Lincoln, Mass.

The newsmen are mostly interested in visiting spots of technical, not historical interest. They come from Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Turkey, and the United Kingdom.