Harvard Rugby Football All-Stars Vanquish Summer School Players

By Nicholas L. Hayes

In a series of one-sided matches, the Harvard Rugby All-Stars defeated a pick-up college team this week.

The first game of the current series was played Friday on Soldiers Field before a cheering throng of 100. Harvard won 15-0. The Collegians, composed of ringers from Dartmouth, Florida and Mississippi, were led by Mike Tate of Dartmouth. Their high spirits were soon dispelled by a Harvard try in the opening seconds of the match.

The Harvard attack, paced by scrum-half Francis Greenacre and fly-half Richard Cary, went on to tally three more tries in the first half.

Closer play in the scrum and better work on the loose enabled the College boys to hold the Harvards to one try in the second half. At no time were the Collegiate All-Stars in scoring position.

Harvard Wins Again

In the second match yesterday the Harvard team again defeated the College All-Stars, 15-6.

In the first half the Harvard scrum completely dominated the play. The team of Barrow, Backus, and Goldstein over-whelmed the efforts of the College All-Stars, getting handily to the backs.

In the third scrum a smooth-flowing series of passes resulted in the first tally for the Crimson. The demoralized collegians played a strictly defensive game until just before the end of the first half, when an intercepted pass brought the College All-Stars their first try of the series.

Substitutions in the second half somewhat evened the sides, but the Collegiate All-Stars were still only able to score once, when a University of Florida Freshman quarterback plunged across the line to score for the Collegians. Tries for the Crimson were scored by Greenacre and Andy Wates.