OH, U.T.

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

We are grateful to Mr. Hiss for his thorough recital of the architectural "improvements" which, in his mind, seem to place the "Harvard Square" a cut above its much maligned but much to be mourned predecessor. However, rock gardens and heliotrope ceilings are no more the essence of a theatre than bricks and mortar are the essence of a university.

To we simple folk who used to patronize the U.T. the Brattle money seems to have effected the very changes than we feared: 1) higher prices, 2) an end to "unprofitable" double features and 3) the ominous policy of "passing up the lesser quality Hollywood films."

Time was when those seeking relief from subtitled and "award-winning" Brattle fare could nip across Massachusetts Avenue and plunk down ninety cents for a relaxing and refreshingly unintellectual Rock Hudson twin-bill.

Now, apparently, the policy will be to elevate us with higher quality stuff (but only one movie at a time so as to "educate" the maximum number of customers--who will pay $1.25 for the privilege).

Well, "shame! shame!" I cry. In the future my custom is reserved for the Uptown and Central Square. Cato