Cornell Beats Fencing Squad, 15-12; Pusey Takes Three Wins in Saber

The Harvard-Cornell fencing match, expected to be as close as last year's contest (won by the Big Red, 15 to 12), ran true to form. Cornell defeated the varsity, 15 to 12, Saturday at Ithaca.

Coach Edo Marion's squad had a chance for victory until the final two individual matches. Then, with the score 13 to 12 in Cornell's favor, the Crimson dropped the decisive bouts.

Captain Jamie Pusey led the varsity, with three wins in saber. Paul Winig contributed two victories, and John Kennedy one, as the saber team won six of its nine bouts.

In epee, Nick Spitzer won twice and Jon Reckler and Don McCloskey took one bout spiece. As a whole, the epee team was out pointed by Cornell, 5 to 4.

Fell Felled

But it was in foil, the classic Harvard deficiency, that the varsity took its lumps. Although Dan kirsh did well in winning two of his three bouts, no one else could win any, as Cornell ran up a 7-2 margin.

According to Marion, two factors contributed to the team's defeat. For one thing, the squad was rusty after the long vacation layoff, and for another, some members had to rush back for the match. One fencer had to come to Ithaca direct from Wisconsin, and another straight from Michigan.

Marion was, however, pleased with the team's overall performance.