Lamont Librarians Run Questionnaire On Farnsworth Room

A questionnaire on the Farnsworth Room of Lamont Library, to be distributed today by Lamont officials, will investigate student reaction to possible alterations -- such as a complete overhaul in the room's reading material or the installation of a public address system playing recorded music.

Henry James, Jr., Lamont Librarian, pointed out yesterday that the terms of the endowment which pays for the Farnsworth Room's upkeep specify that the room contain only unassigned, non-course reading, and so any changes in the room will have to meet this requirement.

But he admitted that students were using the room now "for purposes that have nothing to do with the books on the shelves," and said that any reasonable changes suggested for the design or content of the room would be considered.

Among the possible book topics covered on the questionnaire are science fiction, detective fiction, cartoons, photography, and short stories, or popular magazines. There is also a section on the questionnaire for suggestions on furniture and lighting.

The idea for the questionnaire, James said, was proposed by the Student Committee for Lamont Library.