Computing Center Installs IBM 7090

By Frederic L. Ballard jr.

The University has finished installing IBM 7090 computer that it acquired spring. Over the weekend, a crew of technicians worked 30 consecutive hours dismantling the machine and moving it into the University Computing Center. Yesterday afternoon Anthony G. Oettinger, chairman of the Faculty committee directing the Center, reported the computer is functioning perfectly.

Before being moved, the computer was located at the Smithsonian Observatory on Garden St. Harvard took over control the machine last May 26, and University researchers used it over the summer at the Garden St. site.

At 5:15 p.m. last Friday, IBM technicians unplugged the 7090, together with two secondary computers used for getting information into sad out of the 7090. By 10 p.m. they had moved all the components--which together are bulky enough to fill a large-sized room--over to the Computing Center. Twelve hours later they turned on the central power switch, and by early evening enough connections had been made so that the machine was operating.

At present, the 7090 is in operation about 12 hours a day. Frank Engel, Jr., manager of the Computing Center, pointed out yesterday that the working time could rise as high as 21 or 22 hours daily.

Any project from any part of the University will be scheduled into the 7090's program, but the Computing Center is not selling time to groups outside the University.