Gen Ed Texts Replaced Temporarily; New Editions Planned for Next Fall

For the first time in five years, the textbooks Inquiry and Expression and The Logic and Rhetoric of Exposition are not being used in General Education Ahf.

Harold C. Martin, director of Gen Ed Ahf and author of both books, said yesterday that they have been withdrawn for the year so that they can be revised. He added that this revision does not reflect dissatisfaction with the texts, but is the result of "publishers" demands for periodic strengthening and freshening of the material."

Affectionately referred to as "I and E" and "L and R" by students and section men, the two books will be republished next year. Martin predicted that they will probably be used again in Gen Ed Ahf, because "they were written for the course, and therefore serve our needs precisely."

According to Martin the texts will retain the same general approach and content, although several specific changes will be made. He plans to re-write two-thirds of "L and R," in an attempt to make The Logic and Rhetoric of Exposition "meaningful for students who have had no training in logic."

Inquiry and Expression is a collection of essays that has served as a reader for the course. It will be revised jointly by Martin and Richard H. Ohmann, a former Gen Ed Ahf staff member who collaborated with Martin on the original edition.

A new group of readings on the "historical problem of Joan of Arc" will be added to "I and E," while a section entitled "What is the Meaning of Keat's 'Ode on a Grecian Urn'?" will be cut and replaced by a discussion of a poem by Gerard Manley Hopkins.

This year's stand-ins for the old texts are two recently published paperbacks: Clear Writing by Leo Kirschbaum, and Essay, an anthology edited by Hans P. Guth. Martin said that these books were chosen partly because they are inexpensive and easily accessible.