Latin American Scholars May Take Teaching Posts

Major political figures from Latin America may teach here next year as part of University effort to increase the number of courses now offered in the Latin American field.

Ernest R. May, associate professor of History and head of the Faculty Committee for Inter-American affairs, said yesterday that the committee "hopes to bring a distinguished Latin American scholar to the University next year," perhaps on a regular basis. Other sources implied more grandiose plans but were "uncertain."

At present, there are no courses being offered in Latin American studies this spring and only one scheduled to be given in the fall term of next year. Courses being taught this fall include Anthropology 110b, "Peoples and Cultures of the New World: South America"; Government 113, "Latin American Politics and Government," and History 175b," Intellectual History of Latin America from 1810 to the Present."

Several Faculty members contacted about the scarcity of courses admitted that "things are pretty slim this spring," but the professors pointed out that the Bliss Fellows, three junior Faculty members appointed two years ago, will definitely, provide several courses in Latin American history and economics in 1964-65.

Juan Marichal, professor of Romance Languages and Literatures who gives the course on Latin American intellectual history, expressed the attitude of many professors toward more Latin America courses. "Of course we want more lower level courses, but these things take time," he said. "Harvard is a little like the Vatican, it does things by centuries." Marichal continued, "As far as a center of Latin American studies is concerned, you have to get the right men first, then you can call it what you please."