800 Republicans Mix for Lodge At Carey Cage

By Joseph M. Russin

Dixieland rhythm gripped Carey Cage last night as more than 800 collegiate Republicans demonstrated their desire to support the GOP ticket and to meet other young Republicans.

They came from all over--Wellesley, Smith, Mt. Holyoke, M.I.T., Harvard and about two dozen others. George C. Lodge '50, GOP Senatorial candidate, also came.

While the crowd (which was constantly reinforced by bus-loads from surrounding girl schools) waited for Lodge, it beban to appear that the candidate's presence was not essential.

A little Smith student jumped up and down every time a tall man entered the room crying "Here he comes!" Some nearby Harvard students wondered when Mt. Holyoke was coming.

Jabs at Kennedy

But when Lodge, visibly weary from a long day of campaigning, arrived on the scene, the crowd was his. Jabs at opponent Edward M. Kennedy '54 pleased the students, and in his brief speech Lodge made a spirited attack.

Admitting it was "conceivable that a man could be so gifted and so naturally blessed" that he could be a fine Senator without any previous background, Lodge said Kennedy was asking voters to believe he "was good by the very nature of things."

He said any Massachusetts Senator would have to take issue with the President at times, and that for young Kennedy to do so would place "an intolerable burden of embarrassment on the President." Further, Lodge claimed that any support a senator might give the Administration would be more meaningful if it were "not a show of brotherly affection."

Never before has a President's brother served in the Senate, Lodge said, because "no one has had the gall to attempt it." He saw the election of Kennedy as a threat to the "constitutional framework of the government."

Discounting what he termed "pessimistic nonsense," Lodge told the students that "I know in my guts we are going to win." The prediction evoked a four minute ovation.