Ec 1 Tops All Courses With Enrollment of 727

By Efrem Sigel

For the second straight year, Economics 1, Principles of Economics, has enrolled the greatest number of students of any non-compulsory course in the University. A total of 727 students--87 more than last year--signed up for the course, according to final enrollment figures released this week by Sargent Kennedy '28, Registrar.

Richard T. Gill '48, assistant professor of Economics and head of Ec 1, cited the general organization of the course and its fine section men as the main reasons for the increased enrollment. He said that most of the students in the course were not economics concentrators, but people "who just want to learn something about economics."

Humanities 2, Epic and Drama, moved into second place this fall with an enrollment of 695. The course replaces Humanities 5--which this year dropped to fifth--as the most popular Hum course.

In third place is English 10, Introduction to English Literature, which is being offered for the first time since 1958. Five hundred twenty one students enrolled in the course--so many that the department didn't have enough section men and had to dispense with sections for about 100 seniors taking the course. The seniors will be permitted to drop the course at midyear if they wish.

Math 1a with 468 enrolled continues high on the list in fourth position. It is followed by Hum 5 and Soc Sci 1, which regained its status as the most crowded lower level Soc Sci. Both courses enrolled 382 students.

Other courses in the top ten are Math 20a, Nat Sci 5, George Wald's popular offering, and Soc Sci 6, a new-comer to the list. Among the elementary language courses German A ranked first with 220 students, followed by French A with 205.

General Education Ahf, which is required for all freshmen, has the highest total enrollment of any University course. This year 1449 students are taking it.