Balanced Scoring Sparks Soccer Squad to 4-2 Win

Columbia Falls

By David I. Oyama, (Special to the CRIMSON)

NEW YORK, Oct. 20-Demonstrating for the first time this year that it can mount a balanced attack, the varsity soccer team swept to a 4-2 victory Saturday over a fast, aggressive Columbia squad at Baker Field.

Chris Ohiri again provided the main impetus of the Crimson offense by booting home the first two Harvard goals. But to prove that Ohiri is not the scoring threat for the Crimson, wing Eb Kluflo and right inside John Thorndike tallied their first goals of the season. Their goals were the first to be scored by a Crimson player other than Ohiri in the last five games.

The victory, coming after consecutive defeats to Williams, Amherst and Wesleyan, keeps Harvard in a tie with Yale for the Ivy League lead. Harvard is now 2-0 in league play, while Yale, which defeated Cornell 3-0 in overtime Saturday, has yet to lose in three matches.

Columbia managed to score first at 11:00 of the first quarter on a cross-pass play in front of the Crimson goal which surprised goalie Wally Whitney. Donatus Anyanws speedy Lion center forward and a Nigerian high school mate of Ohiri's, made the score in taking advantage of the deceived Whitney.

With the Crimson offense pressing, Ohiri finally evened the score at 4:20 of the second period with a short shot which ended a frantic scramble around the Columbia goal.

Ohiri, who is known to be fearful of demolishing a goalie some day, refrained from employing his famed hard kick on a penalty shot early in the third quarter. Instead, he neatly placed the ball past Lion goalie and captain Tim Krupa, who was probably contemplating what effect a supersonic soccer ball has on a human body. The goal put Harvard ahead to stay at 2-1.

Williams to Kluflo

Early in the final period, fullback Lou Williams lifted a long, high kick up the middle of the field which Eb Kluflo gathered in and converted into a goal by outrunning the Columbia fullbacks in the grand style of Ohiri and Billy Ward. Williams' set-up demonstrated once again how his defensive play can be a positive boon to the Crimson offense.