Varsity Runners To Face UMass

Placing their undefeated record on the line, Harvard's cross country runners will meet a strong and determined University of Massachusetts team in Cambridge tomorrow.

The Crimson harriers will be favored, but there are several factors which point to a posible victory for the Redmen from Amherst. First, this year's U. of Mass. team is one of the strongest in the school's history. Led by Bob Brouillet, who has twice outrun Harvard's star, Ed Meehan, Massachusetts has a number of men whose best times are as good as Harvard's.

Second, despite its record, the Harvard team has not been particularly impressive this season. Times against Cornell and Brown were slow because of muddy racing conditions. B.U., Columbia, and Penn were such poor teams that Crimson runners did not need to strain themselves to win. Harvard harriers have yet to prove that they can turn in fast times when they have to. Tomorrow they may have to.

Third, the Harvard team is not in top physical condition. The team's two best runners, Meehan and captain Ed Hamlin, are both suffering from colds. Hamlin is also bothered by an injured knee.

No Massachusetts team has defeated Harvard since the series between the two teams was renewed in 1957. Therefore, the Redmen are out to get the Crimson. They feel that this year's team has the manpower to end the Amherst school's losing streak.