Harvard Defeats UMass Runners In Narrow Race

The Crimson cross country team remains undefeated--but just barely--after defeating the University of Massachusetts, 28-29, at Franklin Park yesterday afternoon.

A UMass runner considered one of the best in the East, Bob Brouillet, placed first with a time of 25 min., 15 sec.

Harvard accomplished its narrow victory by taking second, third, fourth, seventh, and twelfth places. Sophomore Bill Crane, who placed second with 25:28, was the surprise of the afternoon. The low man in the Crimson's trio of top runners, he had previously turned in far slower times.

Ed Meehan, normally Harvard's star harrier, ran third, with 25:29. Ed Hamlin, who placed fourth with 25:43, ran slower than his time last year, 25:12, but was hampered by an injured knee. Both Hamlin and Meehan have been troubled recently by colds.

Of the other Harvard runners, Jack Darcy ran 26:17 to come in seventh and Dick Hawkins ran 26:25 for twelfth.

Besides Brouillet, who had twice before outrun Harvard's Meehan, Redmen came in fifth, sixth, eighth, ninth, tenth, and eleventh.

Despite a drizzling rain during the meet, the pace was extremely fast, including some of the best times turned in by Crimson harriers in a so far unimpressive season.

Friday, the Crimson runners face Dartmouth here, but expect no serious competition. The big contest of the season will come a week later, against Princeton and Yale.